Monday, March 1, 2010

Monday, Monday...

I have really enjoyed the song Praan, by Gary Schyman (top of the playlist on my player today). I first heard it in this video "Where in the hell is Matt?", which went viral a couple of years ago and has been a huge hit online. Watch it in HD if you can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfKdbWwruY
On the surface it doesn't seem momentous, or deep, or extremely important. But it is joyful, and moving, and just plain fun to watch. My kids absolutely love it.
"Praan" was composed by Gary Schyman specifically for the video. The lyrics are adapted from a Rabindranath Tagore poem, and the singer - Palbasha Siddique - was recruited from YouTube to sing these specific lyrics. She croons in Bengali.

Stream of Life
by Rabindranath Tagore

The same stream of life that runs through my veins night and day
runs through the world and dances in rhythmic measures.

It is the same life that shoots in joy through the dust of the earth
in numberless blades of grass
and breaks into tumultuous waves of leaves and flowers.

It is the same life that is rocked in the ocean-cradle of birth
and of death, in ebb and in flow.

I feel my limbs are made glorious by the touch of this world of life.
And my pride is from the life-throb of ages dancing in my blood this moment.

The poet talks of seeing all things in the world as participating in the same energy, the same stream of life. The video shows the filmmaker participating in the same dance the world over, with people from all countries and walks of life. Although perhaps frivolous in the face of world disasters like the Haiti earthquake, etc., there is still something deeply moving about this video. It illustrates the commonality between us all, and the joy of community and humanity. It seems so full of hope. So I share it with you, and hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment