Monday, March 15, 2010

last monday before SCHOOL AGAIN!!!!

Today was beautiful and sunny and gorgeous! Even with a serious sleep-deficit hangover from the Daylight Savings time change (it's for our own good!!), I managed to seriously enjoy most of the lovely day today. And how, you ask, did you manage to not seriously enjoy ALL of the lovely day today? Two words. Yard work. Yes, I got the kids out doing yard work today. Can I just say how much fun it is to supervise my unrestrained children in an activity that involves both the yard (read: dirt) and work (read: play.) Spring dirt is just too fun to leave in it's place. Apparently it needs to be not only dug and raked, but also thrown, pitched, tossed, lobbed, and essentially moved about through the air in as many ways as possible. And all that can only happen after you examine it carefully for worms and bugs. At least there was laughter, giggling, and general camaraderie. We did get a lot of weeds sprayed (well, I did, anyway). And we did fix the gate at the side of the house so that the back yard once again is able to contain children (well, I did, anyway.) And we did get the back yard raked of the remnants of last year's leaves (well, I did. You get the picture.) The one job the munchkins were truly helpful with was picking up last year's tiny pecans from our back yard pecan tree. I offered one penny per 10 nuts. I will end up paying out $3.35. Not a lot of moolah, and 3350 nuts in the trash. Wow, that's a lot of nuts! From the tree, I mean. Not the kids.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha. That is an excellent way to get rid of those nuts! I had a happy breakthrough today, in that I finally won the insistence battle between Grace and me that she doesn't actually need my help to pick up the toys in her room. I used the "I am helping you clean the house by doing dishes in the kitchen, and you are helping me clean the house by picking up your room" argument. I can't believe it worked, but she picked up half of her toys by herself.

    ReplyDelete