Monday, March 29, 2010

A glorious weekend

On Thursday night I went to a literacy group I hadn't attended before and had a nice time. It was a night to share our own recent reading list. Lots of opinions and discussion about a few books. I found it very enjoyable, but I always find it enjoyable to share my opinions about things (don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I lean towards the latter, but it's hard to change.) The reason I mention it, aside from wanting to share with the organizer and participants how much I enjoyed it, is to say that Jenny Chamberlain loaned 2 books to me that night, The Goose Girl and Enna Burning by Shannon Hale. The next day my friend Amy Heaton let me know I could borrow her family's copy of book 5 of the Fablehaven series, newly released and hard to come by without purchasing. I picked it up Friday evening around 6. Then, and this is the best part, I spent the entire weekend reading those 3 books. I was done by Sunday afternoon. How nice!! Now these books are juvenile fiction, written for older kids and teens, so they read very fast, but I even surprised myself with how quickly I was able to get through them. And my house didn't even fall apart. I didn't get the laundry done that I should have, but that could wait til this week without any harm done. I talked the kids into doing their Saturday work on Friday night so we could have the entire day Saturday to play with Porter and Eliza, who came over for a few hours. So while the kids did their work Friday night, I read. After the kids and my tired husband went to bed Friday night, I read. The next day our friends were here from about 8:30 to 5, and while they all played Nintendo, dressed up, designed marble tracks, played outside in the wind (for a short while - COLD!!), and watched Astroboy and Veggietales, I read. After they went home and I got home from the YW meeting, I read. Sunday afternoon after church, I read. I read and read and read. It was truly a glorious weekend.

1 comment:

  1. i love to read. good for you and i am glad my kids were easy enough to let you read. thanks for taking them for so long.

    ReplyDelete