Thursday, May 20, 2010

What I'm reading...

It's Wednesday again, and I'm not prepared for any large book reviews, so today you'll just get a rundown of the reading list for the week.

1- Why Some Like It Hot by Gary Paul Nabhan. I was prepared for a fun and fascinating foray into why certain peoples/cultures eat the way they do and how those food choices have affected them, evolutionarily speaking. Sounds like a good time, right? Unfortunately, I'm having a very hard time really getting into this book. The writing is a little thick and wordy, with explanations sometimes confusing instead of clarifying. I don't know if I will finish it, which is saying a lot for me. There are few books I leave unfinished. It's not very thick, though, so perhaps I'll persevere and see if things improve as I go along.

2- What Einstein Told His Cook by Robert L. Wolke. This book is an explanation of kitchen science, and I did find it interesting, although I found that I already knew more than I thought about the chemical reactions in the kitchen. The author has a quirky sense of humor, which kept the book enjoyable, even during the more pedantic explanations. He also possesses a scientist's certainty that what he knows is so. For example, his dismissal of any assertions that sea salt, with it's myriad trace minerals, could be healthier than table salt, irritated me. Ditto for his exploration of microwaves affects of food. There are so many things about nutrition and the body's absorption of, reaction to, and utilization of different substances that modern science either does not understand or cannot explain. It irritates me to hear scientists state the unequivocal "truth," when I know that, even in the realm of science, "truth" is always expanding and even changing. If you are looking for an easy to understand explanation of kitchen science (and a base knowledge in this area will almost certainly help you become a better cook) I definitely recommend this book.

3- As referenced in my previous blog post, I did read Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins over the weekend. I liked it.

4- Most enjoyably, I've been re-reading a favorite talk by Hugh Nibley called "Zeal Without Knowledge." I very much enjoy Nibley. He has an ability to cut straight to the heart of a matter, to see and qualify human nature in a way that makes things clear to my mind. I recognize myself so easily in his writings. This essay begins by talking about how the human mind is capable on seeing or concentrating on only one thing at a time. Even when we are multitasking we are merely skipping from one thing to another at great speed. At any given moment we are choosing what we focus on, and by default we choose what to leave out. The brain sifts through the myriad impressions to select those that fit best into the structure of the world as we choose to see it. The blocked out signals are the unwanted ones, and the ones we favor are our deliberate choices. This, combined with the fact that unless sleeping we must always be thinking, leads to a conclusion:
"It is precisely this limitation which is the essence of our mortal existence. If every choice I make expresses a preference; if the world I build up is the world I really love and want, then with every choice I am judging myself, proclaiming all the day long to God, angels, and my fellowmen where my real values lie, where my treasure is, the things to which I give supreme importance. Hence, in this life every moment provides a perfect and foolproof test of you real character, making this life a time of testing and probation."
And this in the first 2 pages of a 10 page manuscript! I love the thought process that Nibley takes me on, and I love the introspection and self-awareness that I gain from his wisdom. This talk is contained in Nibley on the Timely and the Timeless, Classic Essays of Hugh W. Nibley. I highly recommend it.

In addition to these books, I have been on sort of a movie marathon. I found 6 movies at the library last week that I wanted to see, as well as the Netflix movie that came in the mail. So in the last week I made time to watch Vantage Point (liked it very much), Return With Honor (Message of the movie=excellent, execution=okay.), One God Man (What was the point? Oh, to show that he is a good man, and it's not always easy. Got it.), Alex and Emma (Meh.) Doubt (definitely a discussion starter. One thought - what is our obligation to prevent a crime/sin, when by it's prevention we ensure we cannot ever know what would have actually happened had we not intervened?), and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Fun, fun, fun, fun, tragic ending.) Haven't had a chance to see the documentary Mormons and Masons yet.

Yes, it's been a busy week, and I have neglected very important things that I will today have to rush to get done. It was worth it. Sometimes you just have to have a reading orgy. Or a movie orgy. Or both.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Some Like it Hot, but I'm a fan of Nabhan. It is definitely not light reading.

    ReplyDelete