Thursday, May 13, 2010

4 Pairs!!!

My new running shoes came in the mail yesterday. Yippee! (The UPS guy is truly one of my favorite people.) I'm going to go running in them this morning. They look mean to me, visually all sharp points and expanded metal grating. But cool.

This is the first pair of shoes that I have purchased with a knowledge of the type of shoe I need. Previously my running shoe purchases were made on the basis of price alone, which perhaps is not the best way to choose athletic equipment. I didn't have any trouble until I was training for the half-marathon this spring and my runs got over 10 miles long. Once I hit those longer lengths my IT bands started acting up. In talking to other runners I realized I need to really pay attention to the type of shoe I buy. No more searching solely based on price. I went to the Running Warehouse website (recommended by running guru Liz Dansie) and watched their video about selecting the right shoe. I learned that I need a shoe that gives moderate to maximum support, plus I need to buy one size larger than I have been wearing. Luckily I found a pair that gives the support I need in my humongous size (12!) on a fabulous sale. I got $100 shoes for $39.88. Can't beat that on eBay. It looks like being informed doesn't have to cost me more money, as I was afraid it would.

I'm hoping that what happened in terms of my running shoes and IT band issues was this: The pair I bought last year when I really started running was accidentally and coincidentally the right type of shoe for my gait - therefore no injury issues. Then, when I bought the next pair in January, they did not give the right support, causing me to aggravate my IT bands when I ran. Now that I am educated and aware (sort of), I have purchased a pair of shoes that again are appropriate for my gait. Thus, I'll be able to run fast and far without injury. That's my dearest hope, anyway. We'll find out over the next week or two. If I can run in these shoes without causing my IT bands to hurt, I will probably sign up for the Bryce Canyon Half-Marathon, but if I still have pain, I will probably have to stick to shorter races until I can figure out how to solve the injury problem.

The funny thing to me (not so much to my husband,) is that I have a hard time getting rid of the old shoes, figuring I can use them for the gym and bike riding, and after that to work in the garden or do concrete or whatever. So now I have 4 pairs of athletic shoes lined up in my closet. My shoe maven self rears it's ugly head. Cool.

1 comment:

  1. they are super cute and i keep all my old running shoes. i have quite a number of them.

    ReplyDelete