Friday, May 7, 2010

I always jump ahead to the fun stuff.

So my goal for this month is to get my photo albums in order and up to date. Blech. I wasn't in the mood. I don't know why I wasn't thinking clearly enough to make that a winter-time, bad weather goal. But it's a goal nonetheless. So how do you deliberately not even attempt to achieve a goal you have set for yourself? You don't, unless you want to set a disturbing precedent. The solution? Trade months!! Therefore, I have relegated the photo album goal to the month of August (still not cold weather - there may be more trading down the line) and am now in the midst of the formerly August/now May goal....Purge 20%!!

I am actually very excited about this activity. The idea is to reduce the clutter and junk I have around the house and stored up in the corners, thereby easing space issues and simultaneously easing the mind and soul. It also means an opportunity to clean all the corners and get some things organized that have been neglected since we moved in. I don't know if I can really achieve the full 20% I aimed for, since I try to be a frugal purchaser in the first place, but I am trying to be ruthless. If it has no real emotional significance, and I haven't used it in a year - out!! I spent the day yesterday involved in this pursuit, and intend to take all of today and tomorrow to do the same. And I'm loving it. While I don't love to clean, I do love to organize, so I am able to find quite a bit of joy in the job. I'm also able to find quite a bit of stuff. Stuff to give away. My intended recipient is the DI, but I got to thinking about all this stuff. Some of it is really good stuff. Little girl's clothes in very good shape (I already gave away the not so good items.) Household organization items. A vacuum that perhaps only needs a friend with small appliance rescue issues. A gorgeous oak wall shelf. And more.

So I have decided that I should let my friends have a chance to look over this stack o' stuff before I cart it off. There may be ought that they could use. There may be naught that they could use. Whatever. I'm issuing an open invitation to all friends who read this blog to bring their kids to play at my house for a little while Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday of next week. Early afternoon is best, right after lunch (or right after Picnic on Tues.). After that I'll haul the rest to the D.I.
I'm fairly certain that thereafter, my house will be an oasis of calm in a troubled world, a refuge in the storm, a well-organized heaven on earth sending forth perfect little children who are intelligent, healthy, and happy. Right? Of course, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment