Saturday, February 19, 2011

What I've been reading


It's been a while since I blogged about what I've been reading. You all may have wondered if I had stopped reading entirely. Perish the thought! I have simply found a series I like. And you know me, once I start something, I can get pretty intense about it. I started the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. 15 books in the series. So I've been reading pretty seriously for the last 8 weeks, and gotten about 2/3 of the way through. I quite like them. This is my first serious foray into the fantasy genre, and I'm enjoying it. I've read fantasy written for youth before- Harry Potter, the Artemis Fowl series, the Fablehaven series, etc., but I've never really looked much at the same genre for adults. It's been fun to immerse myself in a world of wizards and faeries, demons and vampires, archangels and knights. And it has been very interesting to watch the author grow in writing ability over the course of the series. He started out a better writer than I, of course, but kind of rough and a little unfocused. But now, 10 books later, he's good. Very good. Funny, precise, well-fleshed and well-nuanced. I'll be sad when I reach the end of the series and have to start waiting for each new installment. Thank goodness Mr. Butcher has another series he has been writing, the Codex Alexa. The well is not dry quite yet.
Jump on in.
The water's fine.

1 comment:

  1. This has nothing to do with the books you're reading, I just wanted to say how impressed I am that you have a P!nk song on your musical selection widget. You're even cooler than originally thought :-)

    ReplyDelete