Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chuck? I used to have a crush on Chuck.


Let's play the old household management game we all love to play - "Chuck 'em or Keep 'em?" This is actually a serious internal debate I've been waging the last several weeks. My old laundry baskets were in need of replacement because there were broken spots in the handles and sides that pinched my hands when I carried them. The bodies of the baskets are still in pretty good shape (i.e. the mesh sides are not broken and the bottoms are intact.) So I purchased new baskets. 7 of them, because we do a lot of laundry at our house. (It probably would be more accurate to say that a lot of laundry gets washed and dried between foldings at our house.) Now I have all new baskets in the laundry room, and these 6 old baskets. So here's the dilemma; What do I do with the old baskets? Do I keep them? They still have a lot of wear in them, just not as laundry baskets. I don't want to throw them away because I can think of several realistic scenarios in which I would use them. Gathering apples from Grandma's lawn. Harvesting muddy vegetables from the garden. Hauling jugs of apple juice at juicing time. But I feasibly could use my new baskets for those things, I would just have to wash them out well before using them for laundry again. Then there's the second option; Do I throw them away? Because keeping the old baskets necessitates STORING them. They'll be taking up space in my house, which is a state of affairs I am trying to eliminate at this point in my life. I mean, how many egg cartons and plastic mushroom containers can a person realistically plan on using at preschool craft day? Not that many. I have been purging like crazy the last couple of weeks. I haven't had trouble getting rid of a bunch of cardboard boxes, or the 2 old DishNetwork receivers, or the computer that my son killed last fall. But the question of the laundry baskets actually has me all in a mental dither. It's kind of a variation of Murphy's law. If I throw them away, I'll need them, but if I keep them, I never will. A lose-lose situation.
(I actually think I came up with a solution today. I'll keep them, but store them out in the back of my husband's shed. That way it's almost like I threw them away, but not quite. Russ will be so pleased.)

No comments:

Post a Comment