Saturday, August 28, 2010

Hanging Out

I always wanted a hammock in my yard. It seems like such a nice thing, to be able to lay in the hammock, slowly swinging while reading a fluffy novel and listening to the laughter of my children at play. (Now that I am more experienced at life, I recognize that I would in actuality be tuning out the sound of children squabbling while swinging and reading away, but this realization diminishes the dream only a little.) This dream was so strong that when my sister, who served her mission in Paraguay, asked me what I wanted her to bring home to me, I told her to bring me a hammock. Not a stiff, K-Mart affair on a metal stand, but a colorful, hand-woven item just begging to be slung between 2 trees in the yard. And she came through, bringing me a blue and white hammock with "Paraguay" woven into the fringe. It's a pretty thing. I was very grateful and pleased. Next, I just needed 2 trees. She returned from her mission when JR was 3, so I've had the hammock in my possession, in an Argentinian grocery bag, for about 8 years now. We moved into our current home about 3 years ago, and I finally had my 2 trees. The only thing lacking then was gumption, which I finally found today. Fairly simple set-up, and a quick trial, and guess what? It's all I hoped it would be. It's comfortable, relaxing, and authentic. I love it! The kids love it, too. If you are ever in need of a place to rest, to read out of doors in the dappled sunlight while slowly swaying in the breeze (children's laughter NOT guaranteed), please feel free to come on over and borrow my little piece of heaven.

3 comments:

  1. I am sooo coming over-Wait! Can you hear my children scream from your back yard???
    If not, I am sooo coming over!!
    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have one that Ty brought home from Venezuela. We recently hung ours too. Nothing like a little Bronte in the breeze, eh?

    ReplyDelete