Thursday, April 29, 2010

Things I love!!

If you are not a woman, you may just want to skip this post. It might make you a little uncomfortable. Then again, if you want to be the type of man who is sensitive and knowledgeable about the entire experience of being a woman, read on.


Just want to take a very short post to mention a product I love. Instead softcups. I have been using these for probably 10 years now. Still love them. I save tons of money and lots of garbage, so I think it's fabulous. Here's the link. Check it out.

Short run down. This is a soft cup that you put up inside your vagina next to you cervix during menstruation. The cup "catches" the flow, and you just empty it out every few hours, depending on your rate of flow. Sounds more intrusive than it feels. If you use tampons, this will be easy for you to use. They are very comfortable. You can wear them for any length of time without having to worry about toxic shock syndrome. I especially love them for the last 3-4 days of my period because I can put one in when I get up and don't have to worry about it all day long. They fit well enough that leaking is not a problem at night, either. During the first days of your period, when they could actually get full, you need to remember to empty them at about the same rate you would change other forms of protection. If you forget to empty it, it will overflow. I always wear a pad as well for the first couple of days of my period. After that, the cup and a pantyliner are great. The packaging recommends using a new one every day. That is so not happening at my house. I rinse it off nightly, when I get ready for bed. At the end of my period, I wash it with soap and water and use it again the next month. One can last me a good six months. This is where I save quite a bit of money, and feel like I'm doing the environment a good deed.

There are a couple of cons. Sometimes, during the first couple of days of your period if you are doing something especially active when the softcup is full, you can inadvertently empty it, which is only a problem if you aren't wearing a pad. Also, if you need to take it out and put it in again, you fingers get messy. So if you are not at home, you may want to keep a little packet of wet wipes handy in your purse. For me, however, I've found that I can "empty" the thing with a specific pelvic floor muscle contraction while sitting on the toilet. Simple and easy.

Anyway, I really do love this product and would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a simple and "green" alternative to multitudes of tampons every month. If you have any personal questions about using them, I would be happy to answer. You can comment or email me, or just ask when you see me. Whatever. If you live near me, I would be happy to give you one (new, of course) for you to try if you want. And no, I am not invested in the company. I am neither a shareholder nor a paid shill. I gain nothing from sharing this except to share something I really think improves my quality of life with someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment