Wednesday, February 24, 2010

10 on Wednesday

After a tome like yesterday's, I feel reluctant to write anything at all because it will seem trivial, but I guess the point of this blog is to include all the unimportant events and emotions that make up the fabric of my life, so here goes.

I love Alan Rickman. He may just be my favorite actor. Certainly the favorite who is still alive. I love his diversity, but I also love the characters he plays. I watched Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility last night. I love that version. I know it's made for the movie-going public, and is therefore shortened in length and complexity of story, but I love the cast, and the whole feeling of the film. And I love Alan Rickman. I watch stuff like that and wish I could meet him. But I know I really want to meet Colonel Brandon, and Severus Snape, and the sheriff of Nottingham, etc. I really don't know Alan Rickman at all, even though I love him!! I also love Harrison Ford (more before he took up with Calista Flockhart and got an earring than after) and Lawrence Olivier, and Gerard Butler, and Sean Connery (the accent beats all comers) and Hugh Grant, and I could just go on and on. (I love women actors also, many of them, but I'm thinking of a certain feeling here - admiration mixed with attraction.) I have met several celebrities. Most notably (and least notably, really) I have breakfasted with Mikhail Baryshnikov and lunched with David Strathairn (in the Juilliard school cafeteria - see what I mean about notability?) But the point is that they are usually really nice people, but just that. Just people. Not really exceptional face-to-face, despite the reams of paper devoted to following their every public move. I know my favorite actors are just the same, but there is a part of me that wants them to be as big and colorful in real life as they are in the movies. It's probably for the best that I never meet them, so as to never be disappointed with their all-to-human personas. Their gas passing, BO smelling, poor grammar-using, over-bearing, under-handed, stuff-caught in-their-teeth, bad breath, greasy hair, plain old normal personas.

1 comment: