Thursday, February 18, 2010

10 Minutes of My Life - an Experiment in blogging

I haven't been using this blog as much as I envisioned when I set it up, nor as much as I want to. So I am trying a new experiment. Instead of waiting until I have a post organized and ready in my mind, I will sit down for 10 minutes each day and just put down what is on my mind. Perhaps this will bring this blog closer to the vision I had. For me, right now, facebook is closer to what I see as my ideal blog; little entries that sometimes are important, sometimes not, but an accurate reflection of my life as it occurs. We'll see how dedicated I am to bringing this blog closer to this ideal.
So....today...
I'm studying the New Testament in my private scripture study and am looking at the Sermon on the Mount. One issue: Matt. 5:14 deals with being the light of the world. City on a hill, light not hidden under a bushel, let you light so shine and all that. I think I understand the directive - to be visible in your religious adherence, so that God my be glorified. So why in Matt. 6:1-6 are we directed to be so secretive in much of our religious work? Prayer is directed to be private, which I can sort of understand, because communication with God is so intimate as to beg to be private. We could not communicate nearly so deeply if we were worried about appearances. But why should all our almsgiving be private as well? Is it it avoid the praise of men? If so, why does Christ advocate being a light, a banner, an example to the world and giving glory to God EXCEPT when we are helping others with donations? I don't think I see the distinction between charity's face when giving alms and charity's face in all other respects (helping neighbors, fellowshipping, and generally loving everyone.) I wonder why we need to separate these out. I guess a little more study is in order.

My finger is feeling better today. For those who missed it in facebook, I almost cut the tip of my thumb off the other day while slicing onions. The Instacare glued it back on, and I'm looking forward to losing this big, ugly thumb-guard in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, I 'm going to exercise today, and then shower. I hope a plastic bag taped over the hand will keep things dry.

2 months to the 1/2 Marathon. Woohoo!! I ran 7 miles last week, and will again on Friday or Saturday. Next week it's up to 8 miles. As I drive around town and watch mileage (like I never really have before), I'm surprised at how close everything really is here in this small town. I could actually run to WalMart and back to get my 9 mile run. It seems so far out there, but it's just over 4.5 miles from my house. And I need to start running more hills anyway.

Well, that's 10 minutes, folks. Actually a bit more, but I got quite a bit written. Now it's off to get the kids to school and go for a good walk with Candy. I gained 5 pounds in one day yesterday, if you can believe it. I think (I HOPE!!) I am retaining water from eating lunch out yesterday while in St. George (lots of salt.) But, I need to burn a bunch of calories today, So I will probably walk for a good 2 hours all told.

1 comment:

  1. My weight fluctuates 5 lbs a day with alarming regularity.

    My thought on your scripture study question is that I think when you are doing all of those things in secret, it lights you up in a way that is appealing.

    Also, I think the almsgiving thing is directed to be private because of what you said, to avoid pride. It's one thing to go help someone or donate money to something. It's another thing to tell everyone else all the time, or make sure someone is watching. Candles shed pretty light, but a laser pointer can cause blindness. Hmm, maybe a bad metaphor, but it made sense to me for a minute.

    ReplyDelete