Saturday, March 26, 2011

Another runner?


My little Elizabeth, who at 9 years old really isn't so little anymore, ran her first marathon today. Well, let me clarify - she finished her first marathon today. Her school, Hurricane Elementary, has a fun program where the kids run a mile once a month during lunch to earn a treat. In conjunction with this fitness program, this year they organized a program wherein the kids ran more laps during recess and worked their way up to 25 miles. Then, on the day of the Sand Hollow Marathon, they came and ran the last 1.2 miles of the marathon, crossing a finish line at about the same time as some of the real marathon runners. Cool, right? Katie wasn't interested, but Lizzie worked hard to get all her miles and we went down this morning and ran the last mile together. In spite of the constant cold drizzle, I think it was a great thing, very encouraging to the kids. I hope this experience has instilled an interest in competitive and recreational running in my little girl, and in the other kids as well. The whole experience was very fun, and I give kudos to those who put so much effort into making sure it came together, especially our friend Liz Dansie. Great work, everyone!! We are definitely looking forward to next year.

1 comment:

  1. What a neat thing their school does. I'm sure my kids would love to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete