Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What I've been reading...for a long time.

All right, it's about time. I keep thinking I need to blog all the books I've been reading, but I've been too busy reading to blog about reading. I've decided that's not a bad thing after all. Except for the part where I want to share these books with you and it takes me a very long blog full of very short reviews. So here goes.

I took a couple of books on vacation to CA with me. At a suggestion of my cousin, Michelle, I read A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton. I had dreamt of a child drowning, and she mentioned this book, which is about the aftermath of an accidental drowning of a child in the protagonist's care. The book was poignant and upsetting, yet to me, vaguely unfulfilling. I was given a glimpse into the psyche of the protagonist and her husband, very ordinary people in extra-ordinary circumstances. I never really felt connected to the main characters, so I sympathized with them (especially in regards to the horrible emotions associated with the drowning) but I never really empathized with them. I felt like I was reading their story looking through a distorted window. I could see the actions and emotional journey of the characters, but I never felt I had a clear picture of them. They always felt fuzzy and indistinct. I think the writing was so full of description that the prose distracted from the continuity rather than clarifying.

The other book I took on my vacation was far more fun for me. Bitten: True Medical Stories of Bites and Stings, by Pamela Nagami, is more my cup of tea. This book is sort of a compendium of all the creatures that can kill you with a bite (usually through envenomation, although there are a few chapters about bites that can kill by becoming infected.) I found it fascinating. For example, I didn't know that cone snails were extremely venomous, nor that tick bites can be harmful beyond Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. True stories, medical sleuthing, animal information... I love this stuff.

The next book I began turned out to be one of a rare breed for me - that is, a book I intend to purchase after having read it. It's called The Story of Stuff, by Annie Leonard. If you are familiar with Ms. Leonard's Internet film, The Story of Stuff, then you already know what this is about. The subtitle of the book tells it all, "How our obsession with stuff is trashing the planet, our communities, and our health - and a vision for change." As I said at the top, no long reviews here. I'll just say please read this book. I think everyone should. When my copy finally comes in the mail, I will be reading it to my husband. He doesn't read very often (too busy) but he loves to listen to me read to him. I get to choose the books, and I will choose this one. It's that important.

The final installment of The Hunger Games series, Mockingjay, came out. I read it. I loved it. My friend gave an excellent review here, and I will defer to her. I would recommend The Hunger Games series to you, if you are an adult. If you have kids that want to read it, you may want to review it to decide when they are old enough. The books contain violence and some mature themes regarding government, war, revolution and sacrifice. A little parental discretion may be advised.

On the recommendation of the same friend whose review I linked above, I began a series she liked with the book The Thief, by Megan Whelan Turner. Then I had to go straight to the library and get the other three in the series, The Queen of Attolia, The King of Attolia, and A Conspiracy of Kings. Very enjoyable. In the young adult section when you go looking for them, and I highly recommend you do. My current literary crush is Eugenides. (I made the picture big because I loved these books so much. I may have to buy them as well.)

Moving down the list, I recently finished Burn, by Nevada Barr. Ms. Barr is my favorite action murder mystery writer. I have loved her series about heroine Anna Pigeon. Anna is a real person, and I mean real in that although she doesn't exist, she could. And you would never notice her. She's like an actual person whom you might meet on the street (or in the National Parks, as it were.) She's not Hollywood young, nor movie star good-looking; not rich, impressively witty nor savant-gifted in any way. She's just smart and perceptive and cautious. I like her. And I love the books. The latest one, Burn, is a mystery that involves child prostitution, though, and that made me incredibly sad as I read it. It's the only unlikeable thing about a great book. If you want to read this series (currently of 16), start at the beginning with The Track of the Cat. They can each stand alone, but you're going to want to read them all anyway, so why not start at the beginning? My personal favorites - Firestorm and Blind Descent.

Now to tell you what I am reading and enjoying now:

The Fallen Sky: An Intimate History of Shooting Stars, by Christopher Cokinos. The author (who, according to his jacket, lives along Blacksmith Fork River in Cache Valley. Hello!! I probably drive by his house every summer when I go up to the old stomping grounds! Anyway...) weaves a very interesting book out of scientific meteorite information and historical accounts of meteorite hunters/discoverers, with a little bit of Mr. Cokinos personal journey thrown in for flavor. I'm reading this one a little bit slowly, but savoring as I go.



The Secret Life of the Grown-up Brain: The Surprising Talents of the Middle-Aged Mind, by Barbara Strouch. Thank you, Barbara, for writing this book. I blogged recently about losing my mind. This book tells me I am, in fact, NOT losing my mind. I am just learning to think differently. Although it is true that the middle aged mind loses speed and agility with recall (as in names and facts), it is also true that as you age, the brain becomes far better at gathering information and them making correct choices based upon that information and years of experience. That's right, kids. You can remember people's names better than I can, but I am showing forth wisdom. Hear that? Wisdom. Over all, I will make better choices than I did 15 years ago. Thank you very much.

Spider Bones, by Kathy Reichs. The latest in her Temperence Brennan series. Tempe (as her friends call her - of which I am one, of course) is a forensic anthropologist who splits her time between Quebec, Canada, and her home state of North Carolina. Just like the author. Which I find truly amazing. This fascinating character is based upon a real life person who has the same skills, abilities, and experiences (except probably the death threats, etc. that follow the literary character as she figures out the mysteries. But the real life character is a New York Times best-selling author, so you get to pick which is cooler.) The books are very interesting and engaging, but you know that I love all things forensic. At least on paper.

In the bull pen: The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains, by Nicholas Carr.

So there's an accounting of many hours of my life. Hours that could (perhaps should) have been spent cleaning the house, balancing the checkbook, organizing the bedroom closet, or even landscaping the yard. Jobs that needed doing, and worthy causes all. I read instead. And I'm not sorry. Well, not very.

3 comments:

  1. I went to get the King of Attolia today and it was checked out. :/ Oh well, I may not have time to read for reals for awhile. Thanks for these recommendations. I will put the Stuff one on my list. Right now the only priority reading for awhile will be "Business for dummies."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted to like "A map of the World" and I just didn't.

    Have you read, "Water for Elephants" or "The Help"? Two excellent books I've read in the last couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the fun reviews! I'm always looking for good stuff! You show add me as a friend on goodreads.com (AKA my favorite website in the universe) :)

    ReplyDelete