Saturday, October 15, 2011

Birthday cake

Katie's 8th birthday was today. She asked for a Phineas and Ferb cake, and as Perry is the only character that I think is at all attractive, this was the cake I went with. Although it was a very simple design, I'm pleased with how it turned out. I think I captured his expression well. Hey, where's Perry?
The cake was a standard yellow boxed mix, baked into two 9-inch layers. I frosted them with store frosting (shh, don't tell anyone) colored Perry color (sky blue with a touch of green). I traced the bill and filled it with yellow frosting, piping it in with a round tip, but then spreading it to make it smooth. I then outlined it in orange. The eyes were difficult. First I tried making some eyes out of frosting on a sheet of waxed paper and freezing it, hoping to transfer them to the cake when frozen. Well, store-bought frosting doesn't get hard in the freezer. Crap! About 1/2 hour before the dinner (where we would serve the cake) I was trying to decide what to do, when I saw the almond bark and the bakers chocolate in the cupboard. I knew they would turn hard in the freezer. So, a quick melt of white chocolate, a speedy art moment of shaping the eyes, and about 2 minutes in the freezer and I had the whites. I placed the two best on the cake and piped the melted dark chocolate around for the brows and irises. Then into the fridge with it all to get it all to set, and...voila! I was very pleased (as well as relieved.) And the girl was thrilled. I love the big smile when they see the cake for the first time. Fabulous!!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE YOU PERRY! And K, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome cake! Way to improvise last minute and make a fabulous cake. It looks just like Perry too!

    I will make a note of the fact that store bought frosting does not freeze well. My only question is this, "What on earth do they put in their frosting?"

    Happy Birthday Katie!

    ReplyDelete