Sunday, September 4, 2011

Ethics vs. Economy


I have certain beliefs that I try to incorporate into daily life. Some of them have to do with food. I think animal fats are good for you, so long as they are healthily derived. I think that processed fats and synthetic fats (like hydrogenated oils and soy/cottonseed oil) are very bad for your health. I think processed foods as a whole are bad for you. The whiter the grain, the worse for your health, with the possible exception of rice every now and again. If it comes packaged in plastic and you can eat it right out of the bag, it's probably not good for you. I think sweeteners should be used sparingly, and even then they should be as minimally processed as possible. I also am of the opinion that the human body is designed to deal with poisons and poor foods in the diet, and so the occasional intake of any of the above foods will not cause trouble in the midst of a healthy diet. So, you can see where I'm coming from, food wise, right?
Now, here is my dilemma: Do I have a responsibility to feed a large group of people at the same standard I feed myself and my family, or can I justifiably feed them at a socially accepted standard? Making the food choices I do is not as cheap as the alternative. If I'm bringing a dish to a potluck or bringing a meal in for compassionate service, or even bringing cookies to a Primary party, can I make the food with cheap sugars, processed grains, and questionably healthy oils in order to save money? Especially if I feel that the recipients have no concern whatsoever which way I choose to do things? What is my moral obligation as far as food is concerned?

5 comments:

  1. i'm guilty of it. i admit that sometimes when i make cookies for yw i use (gasp) margarine. i guess when it won't be noticed, go for it, but never for picnic at the park because then we might have to call you hypocritical :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wouldn't consider it when I'm feeding people whom I know care about such things. I also eat the food I bring to picnic at the park, so there's another reason to follow my own food rules. I don't mind using more nutritious, healthier food when I'm feeding people whom I want to impress or share my beliefs with. I was asked to make cookies for Primary, and am having an internal debate about buying a can of shortening to make them with, considering the price of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much is the cost difference between the shortening and the butter? Certainly the butter will taste better, though whatever you bring will likely be eaten up. Is there any way you could use butter but make smaller cookies? Since we started eating only real fats several years ago, I cannot stand the taste of butter-flavored shortening. It takes like metal to me.

    We struggle with this question whenever we are asked to bring something to a family get together. Shane does most the cooking for our family, and he likes to use seasonal products with lots of herbs and spices, natural sugars and real fats (except for caramel, which he uses corn syrup to make). We always wonder if he should make something that isn't like what we normally eat, i.e. bland & sugary (but will likely be eaten up quickly - especially by the younger crowd, who we worry about the most when it comes to unhealthy foods) or do we bring something that we know our family will eat (including our kids), but most all the other kids and a good portion of the adults will reject as "weird?"

    As you probably guessed, having been to family get togethers with us, we usually bring the "weird" food, which means we end up taking home a lot of leftovers. Some family members are more open to our weird food than others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say, "Let them eat cake." I have no problem not holding everyone else to my standards. Here is a similar situation. This post is making me consider being more careful about potluck contributions, though. I probably bring stuff you and Amy don't want to eat regularly, so I apologize if I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent question! I am with Liz about the margarine for youth activities. I end up making treats for the YM in my ward. They eat marshmallows, chips, hotdogs, etc. at activities.
    If I have to make a special trip to the store to make a treat for the young men and I am just going to donate it, I do generally buy whatever is cheaper. I probably should feel bad, but I don't because my family does not have a budget for youth activities. I am happy to contribute things--especially when they are lying around my house, but if I have to go purchase ingredients, I generally buy margarine. I have used coconut oil and butter at times too, it just depends on if I have it in my pantry. . .
    Good luck with your cookie endeavors:)

    ReplyDelete