Monday, July 18, 2011

No more music


The service I was using to put the music player on my blog changed their policy, and they now have ads about every 3 songs. I'm not sure when this happened, because I haven't blogged in about a month, but if you ever were here and had to listen to commercials int eh music, I'm so sorry. I HATE commercials and ads that appear when you don't choose to watch them, like at the beginning of videos on Youtube and Failblog, or in the middle of the news article you are reading. I know that companies have to make money, but they didn't have ads for the first 2 years I used them. Why now? If the ads had been there from the beginning I wouldn't mind so much. Or if they let you know they are changing their policy. But when they just start throwing ads around without warning, I feel offended. I try my hardest to keep that stuff out of my life. I don't let the kids watch too much commercial television (we usually watch dvds - and skip the previews), I don't subscribe to magazines. I even try to put name brand stuff in generic containers in my house, trying to avoid the brand-name recognition and influence at least a little bit. (See this article about the effects of advertising on children.) So when I was working on my blog and enjoying the music and heard the commercial for McDonald's, I got mad. I removed the player and emailed the company telling me how disappointed I was. I'll be looking for a player that doesn't have embedded ads. Or maybe I won't. That music I chose mostly for me to listen to while I was working on posts. I have tunes on the computer. Perhaps I'll just let a little peace and quiet reign here on Simple and Small.

No comments:

Post a Comment