Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pies. Yum.


I had some friends over today to learn how to make pies. Somehow, over the years, I went from being a novice who looked to my peers for guidance on things domestic, to being the older, wiser, more experienced person in my circle of friends, the one who could feasibly lead a tutorial. At least as it pertains to pie crust. I don't mind at all. It was fun.
Here are the recipes I shared, my family's Pie Crust recipe, and my Grandma Beth's Cream
Pie recipe. Super good, the both of them.

Pie Crust

1 t. salt
3 c. flour
1 c. lard
Mix with pastry cutter or with hands. In separate bowl
combine...
1 t. vinegar
5 T. water
1 beaten egg
Mix well, then add all at once to dry ingredients. Mix with hands just until moist. Roll out into 2 pie shells or a bottom and top crust. For fruit or pumpkin pie, fill immediately and bake. For pre-baked crust (i.e. cream pies), place rolled dough in pie tin, prick well with fork, weight with pie weights or beans, and bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cool before filling.

Grandma Beth’s Cream Pie

3 c. milk
2 c. sugar
1/4 t. salt Boil. Add, premixed...


6 eggs - beaten
2 T. cornstarch dissolved in 3 T. milk
Cook until thick. Add...

2T. Knox gelatin dissolved in 8 T. milk (dissolve well).
Refrigerate overnight.

Whip 1 pt. whipping cream (unsweetened). Whip pie mix until smooth, then beat cream and pie mix together.

Banana Cream Pie - Layer pie mix and sliced bananas in pie
shell. Refrigerate until served. Top with sweetened
whipped cream.

Coconut Cream Pie - Mix with coconut and spoon into pie
shell. Refrigerate until served. Top with toasted coconut.

2 comments:

  1. Wish I had the energy to go with the itch to make a banana cream pie. I love that stuff.

    Thanks for the lesson, it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was fun! thanks for the invite and the insight.

    ReplyDelete