Sunday, June 14, 2009

Can I just vent for a minute? My kids long ago began to "call" who would be whom when we watched a video or tv show, etc. They decided which character they wanted to identify with and would say things like, "I'm Princess Leia!" or "I get to be Laura Ingalls!" Well, they very quickly found out they all wanted to be the same character most of the time (except JR, who gets to avoid all this by being the only boy. He always gets to good parts.) Soon we started to hear things like, "I'm Princess Leia number 1!" followed by "I'm Princess Leia number 2!" and so on. For a long time this worked. Whomever was fastest got to be (character name) number 1, followed in numerical order by the rest of the group. I can handle that. After all, it is fun to pretend to be the heroine, so who am I to interfere with their solution to divvying up the plum roles? Arguments were avoided. Now, here's the problem. Someone discovered the word permanently. So now we not only have to numerically call out who gets to be whom, we also have to listen to everone add permanently to their "call" and then argue over who said permanently the time before. "I get to be Princess Leia number 1 permanently!" "No you don't, I called Princess Leia number 1 permanently last time!" It's getting old very quickly. And yesterday, Katie upped the ante by saying "I get to be (whomever) number 1 permanently dermanently!" I guess the repeated word with a different letter beginning adds more weight to the claim (I double trouble bubble dog dare you to!!) I may just strangle someone before the week is out! Maybe Russell. This has to be his fault somehow, right?

1 comment:

  1. You got me laughing at "dermanently" - good luck with that one.

    ReplyDelete